Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Week Nine: Writing Assignment


To be honest, I was expecting this book to be awful. The cover art is jarring and completely off putting. But once I started to read it it really wasn't that awful. It was a quick read and it was fairly enjoyable.
This book is about a young rabbit named David. His father is an engineer on a spaceship and suddenly calls David into work one day. He requests David's help as an invading starship is threatening their planet. Just as their starship takes off, the encroaching invaders destroy their home planet and leave nothing behind. They then fight for their lives and unfortunately no one survives but David and two of the royal family aboard the ship. They are rescued and the King is so thankful to David that he declares him a free bunny, just as he passes away from injuries sustained in the crash. The rescuers then attempt to set a course for safety when they are halted by another invading ship. David and the crew are then set into a battle to fight for home.
I didn't mind this book. All in all, I just wish that it had taken more time to introduce the characters in the beginning, because I felt like I was just thrown in. It read more like a fanfiction. It really read like I was already supposed to know everything about this universe, and because of that it was all a little confusing. And somethings just got more confusing. Like why are there anthropomorphic rabbits? And why are they slaves? I think at one point there was a dog mentioned? Are there anthropomorphic dogs thrown in with the rabbits? Are there just a bunch of talking animals running around in this universe? And the youngest lord boy said that his family had invented them? How? Why? None of this is answered and it's odd, but I had read Watership Down so it did at least seem a little familiar in the rabbit respect. 
Also, it ended abruptly. There is a second book and I would also like to read that one to put this one in a little more context. It felt as if the author had a set page limit and he had too much stuff to try and fit into the pages and he just didn't have enough space. Overall, I have a feeling that I am going to forget about this book actually existing but still remember passages and imagery about this and wonder if it was all a weird fever dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment